Thursday, May 31, 2012





Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs
Review By: Lauren B.


Peculiar children. A memory that will last forever. This is what happens when Jacob Portman goes to an island off of Wales to find out more about his grandfather, Abe. Jacob has found a letter and pictures that seem quite strange to him, and it’s time to finally find out what they are all about. Abe is dead now, so it is up to Jacob to figure out the mystery of the past...and maybe even the future.
Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children is set in modern day, but it gives a delightful spin on the 1940’s. It reminds me somewhat of the Harry Potter books, because it is based on fictional things, that could never possibly happen. This book makes me think of Adolf Hitler and his island of prisoners. It makes me think of this situation because some of the Peculiars were and could’ve been unbelievebly dangerous. That is why they were off on an island that most modern day people wouldn’t even look at.

Honorable Mention
  • Unbelievable, by Sara Shepard
  • Heartless, by Sara Shepard
  • The Hunger Games, by Suzanne Collins
  • Catching Fire, by Sazanne Collins
  • What Though the Odds, by Haley Scott DeMaria

2 comments:

  1. I was really impressed with your review of "Peculiar Children". It makes me wonder what happens next to Jacob? Your review piqued my interest the most when I saw that Jacob is going to "find out the mystery" I really enjoy those kind of books. Next time I go to the library I am definitely going to consider picking up a copy of "Peculiar Children"!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This book looks really interesting and creepy! I think the theme could have been a little more creepy but other than that great job!

    ReplyDelete