Monday, June 17, 2013

Gone by: Michael Grant





Alex Abrahamyan
6-15-13
Red Class
Book Review: Gone

    My favorite book that I read this year was Gone, by Michael Grant.
    Imagine all the parents, teachers, nurses, policemen, firefighters...GONE. It is a very frightening idea right? Well this happened during the “FAYZ”. All were gone except the boys and girls under fifteen. Bullies make new rules for kids to follow. Kids start mutating and having unbelievable powers. Animals change, evolve and start to talk. There was a round barrier of electricity surrounding everything like a cage. It was a challenging place to live in the FAYZ for everybody. The protagonist in the book is Sam Temple. He is a clever, kind, and loving boy. He becomes the leader that faces the bullies with his many helpers. He develops powers, so magnificent. The setting of the book is the FAYZ but this includes Perdido Beach, Coates Academy, the power plant and more. The problem that everybody is trying to solve is how to get out of the FAYZ. They are all trapped in there like animals. They are running out of supplies and food. Will they survive the FAYZ?
    I enjoyed this book very much because even though it is very hard to imagine that this type of thing would happen to you, it is believable that this could have happened to somebody else in the world. I liked the idea that the author had in mind when writing this book because it is very creative. The characters seem real but their powers make it seem like they are completely different people. It is an incredible book and I enjoyed reading every sentence of it. This book reminded me of the types of problems that we can actually have in our world.  Gone taught me that no matter what happens, your friendship with others will save you.  Our world is not perfect and never will be. Gone makes me think about how massive the importance of friendship and family is. You cannot survive by yourself, you need others with you. I recommend this book to all of my friends because it is a very creative book and I think that they will all enjoy it.

Honorable Mention Books:
  • Hero- Mike Lupica
  • On the Devil’s Court- Carl Deuker
  • Million Dollar Throw- Mike Lupica
Things Not Seen- Andrew Clements

1 comment:

  1. Great job Alex. This really makes me want to read this book to find out what happens. I'm kind of confused about the setting. Where is the FAYZ? Is it in Perdito beach or Coates Academy? What's the powerplant? Otherwise, awesome job. It would be scary living in this!

    ReplyDelete