Friday, June 14, 2013

Li Ping Titterington
Red
6/14/13

Escape Under the Forever Sky
Eve Yohalem

Imagine being kidnapped, not knowing where you are going, and you do not know your way around your village.  Well thats what happened to Lucy Hoffman. Lucy was brought to an unknown destination, not knowing where she was going. This a story about the protagonist who is a thirteen year-old girl name Lucy Hoffman. Which is set in modern time Ethiopia. Lucy’s mother is the American ambassador, therefor they are always moving. Her mother is very protective of Lucy; all Lucy get to see are “ the walls of the embassy compound”. The conflict of the story is when her mother finally lets Lucy go visit her friends. Although, Lucy was subsequently kidnapped. All alone in the wild, Lucy must use her knowledge of African wildlife to escape to freedom.

I really enjoyed the book Escape Under the Forever Sky. I liked it because it taught me different Ethiopian traditions. For example, on page 193 it was talking about an Ukuli bula, which is a ceremony that recognizes the transition to manhood. The book also taught me how brave Lucy was to escape and survive the kidnapping, which she eventually escaped. Another reason why I like this book is because I can connect to the story. I can connect to the book because I learned to trust my-self. For example. Escape Under the Forever Sky makes me think of how important it is to trust your instincts, because Lucy knew there was something suspicious about the people that kidnapped her, and if she went with her gut reaction to stay away from him, she probably wouldn’t have gotten kidnapped.

HONORABLE MENTION
  • Breathless by Lurlene McDaniel
  • Homeless Bird by Gloria Whelan
  • Out of my Mind by Sharon M. Draper

No comments:

Post a Comment