Friday, June 14, 2013

Out of my Mind by Sharon M. Draper

Out of my Mind, by Sharon M. Draper
Reviewed by Mosab A.


    Eleven-year-old Melody has a photographic memory. Her head is like a video camera that is always recording . And there’s no delete button. She’s the smartest kid in school, but no one knows it. Most people-including her teachers and doctors- don’t think she’s capable of learning.

    Even if she’s eleven, she still listens to the same preschool alphabet  lessons again and again and again. If only she could speak up, if only she could tell people what she thinks and knows, but she can’t. Because Melody can’t talk or walk or write. Being stuck inside her head is making Melody go out of her mind. That is until she finds something that will allow Melody to speak her very first words!
   
I personally liked this book because it made me realize that being disabled doesn’t mean that you’re not as good as the “normal” kids.
Now when I look at a disabled person I think differently  about them now, I would treat them with lots of  respect and I wouldn’t treat them as if they were very young children. Before I read this book I used to act sort of strange around disabled people and they wouldn’t like it, but now I would treat them and anybody else the same.

Honorable Mention: The Hunger Games, by Suzanne Collins
13 Reasons Why, by Jay Asher
Artemis Fowl, by Eoin Colfer.

No comments:

Post a Comment