Monday, April 11, 2011

Suicide Notes by Michael Thomas Ford


Suicide Notes by Michael Thomas Ford
Review by Sasha Helfner *****

            What would you do if you woke up in a hospital with two slit wrists? You claim that you didn’t cut yourself, but you are still put in a 45 day program. That is Jeff’s story, but it’s not a simple one. The problem is that Jeff doesn’t even know why he tried to commit suicide. Throughout Jeff’s experience in the hospital, he ventures through his mind about topics that he has never encountered before. He talks about death, life, and other topics are thrown out there as well. You could say that his best friend, Allie, is the antagonist, or it could even be Dr. Cat Poop. Either way, they have an impact on Jeff in the old, crummy hospital for 45 long days.
            I liked this book because it gave me a different look at situation. Jeff looks at situations as if they didn’t matter; counted for nothing. Jeff said that when he cut his wrists that the skin bleeding out was like opening a ribbon on a present. This made me learn a different lookout on events. If I were cutting myself, I would be thinking about the pain and ugliness of what I have done. That isn’t what Jeff did. He viewed his action as an exiting activity. Jeff reminds me of Phoebe from “Friends.” This is because they both have different opinions about life. I already mentioned Jeff’s opinion, but Phoebe’s is the opposite. Phoebe thinks that everything that can become a cheerful song, as exampled in her song, “Smelly Cat.” I encourage you to read this book this book not only so that you can figure out what 45 day programs are like, but so that you can see what it’s like to view situations on the dark side.

Honorable mentions: Would You by Marthe Jocelyn
                                    Expect the Unexpected by Larry P. Espling

10 comments:

  1. sasha this is really good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. good job Sasha, this is outstanding. ps i would cry like a little baby if i was in the hospital with two slit wrists

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good job on the review and love the fact you mentioned Phoebe's smelly cat song

    ReplyDelete
  4. From the title of this book i wouldn't of wanted to read it at all, but your summary made it seem like an interesting and worth wild book. I can see u really took your time reading this from all your examples from the book. I enjoyed that you mentioned Phoebe from Friends. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. From the title of this book I wouldn't wanted to read it at all, but your summary made it seem like an interesting and worth wild book. I can see you really took your time reading this from all your examples from the book. I'm glad that you didn't give away the hole story but still got me interested. I enjoyed that you mentioned Phoebe from Friends. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good job Sasha, I would be afraid too if I was in the hospital, not knowing what happened to me. When you said,"Jeff said that when he cut his wrists that the skin bleeding out was like opening a ribbon on a present," it made me think that this book is very good because of the descriptive words. This review made me think about how sad it is when people try to commit suicide and cut themselves. I would definitely want to read this book!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great job Sasha! I really liked it because it gave me a different perspective of life. When you said "Jeff said that when he cut his wrists that the skin bleeding out was like opening a ribbon on a present," it made me imagine if I was in his place. I want to read this book because it shows that it is full of mystery and wonders. Why did Jeff cut himself in the first place? I wonder what it would be like to be in a 45 day program but as you said, the book holds much more than that.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great job Sasha,I really liked the the first sentence, it was a great hook. The part that wanted to make me read the book the most was how you said,"You claim you didn't cut yourself. It really made me wonder about how he didn't know why or how he cut himself. I wonder why he talks about death and life so much and then just throws them away. This book really makes me wonder why people act the way they do. I really want to read this book.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You had my complete attention by the first sentence. Your review piqued my curiosity by opening with the question "What would you do if you woke up in a hospital with two slit wrists?". Having just read that, I had to know more about the book, plot, and characters. After reading the review, I started to think of those types of situations; what would I do if I was stuck somewhere after doing something I had no memory of? This sounds like a very interesting book that explores the silver lining in bleak situations.

    ReplyDelete